Sunday, November 22, 2009

Head coach Wade Phillips wants to stay with the Cowboys

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said he isn't worry about his job security because it's something he can't control.Phillips is in the last year of his contract but the team has an option for the 2010 season, something owner Jerry Jones hasn't committed to.

"That will come or it won't, those are the things later on that I don't think about," Phillips said. "I don't even worry about it now. I was pretty happy in San Diego when we were 14-2 and then I got this job and it's even better. I'm enjoying it."

As coach, Phillips is 76-52 including interim spots in New Orleans and Atlanta. He is 0-4 in the postseason, however.

Phillips understands the business. In three seasons with Buffalo, Phillips went 29-19 and was fired. It wasn't a surprise to him because his father, Bum, was fired as coach of the Houston Oilers after going 32-16 in his final three seasons as coach. Wade Phillips said he doesn't coach like he's under pressure to win because of these experiences.

"That's the way I coach, that's the way I've always coached," he said. "Way back when we went 10-6, 10-6, 11-5 and two AFC championship games and we got fired I realized that, hey you can do a great job and for whatever [reason] you can be gone. I stopped worrying about all that and worried about coaching and trying to do the best I can to help the team win and that's all I think about."

Minnesota coach Brad Childress, with one year left on his contact, received a three-year extension Thursday.


More on the Cowboys

Head coach Wade Phillips wants to stay with the Cowboys

Calvin Watkins and Tim MacMahon have the Cowboys blanketed for ESPNDallas.com. Check in with their constantly updated coverage. Blog

Phillips, with his team at 6-3 and in sole possession of first place in the NFC East, said he doesn't worry about what other coaches are making and how it might affect his status.

"I'm not thinking about going anywhere either," Phillips said. "I've always been that way, my whole life, wherever we've been, I said we're going to be here the rest of our lives. Everywhere we've been, my kids can tell you that. I think we're going to stay there, but you realize in pro football how much it changes for whatever reason. It's all kinds of reasons and it's not necessarily how well you coach or what you do sometimes."



Cruyff to coach CatalunyaCowboys owner Jerry Jones won’t discuss coach’s contract status