Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones won't discuss coach's contract status

Head coach Wade Phillips has the Dallas Cowboys in first place in the NFC East in November. He does not have job security after January.

Phillips' contract expires after this season, although there is a team option for 2010. Owner/general manager Jerry Jones declined to discuss the likelihood of picking up that option.


More on the Cowboys

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wont discuss coachs contract status

Calvin Watkins and Tim MacMahon have the Cowboys blanketed for ESPNDallas.com. Check in with their constantly updated coverage. Blog

"Since there's been absolutely nothing in my mind but the fact that I have an option for him next year, that's as far as we need to go," Jones said on his weekly radio show. "And I'm proud that today, that we've had some success and that the things that Wade can bring to the table are showing.

"So I'm proud of that, and this does nothing but benefit every fan we've got. It wouldn't benefit our fans at all for me to discuss Wade Phillips' status for next year."

Of course, it was only four games ago that folks wondered whether Phillips would have been fired if the Cowboys lost to the Kansas City Chiefs. Jones, who has never fired a coach in the middle of the season, insisted at the time that Phillips would coach the Cowboys for the rest of the season no matter what.

Phillips, who has never had a head coaching stint last more than three seasons, has always maintained that job security isn't a concern for him.

"I don't worry about my job," Phillips said during training camp. "I worry about the job I'm doing."



Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Tashard Choice will get more carriesRuud uncertain on future