Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Raiders interim coach Cable takes over play calling

Interim head coach Tom Cable has taken over the play-calling duties for the Oakland Raiders from offensive coordinator Greg Knapp in another move to spark the NFL's lowest-scoring offense.

Cable said that he relieved Knapp of his duties before last week's 17-6 loss to the Carolina Panthers and would remain in that role for the rest of the season.

"I feel responsible for where we're at offensively," Cable said. "With that being the case and my nature and my personality I've got to find a way to do more and help where I can. I really haven't been active in that role, obviously as the line coach, but I feel that responsibility now and want to shoulder that responsibility so I'm more involved."

Knapp was replaced after the worst offensive output for the Raiders in 47 years, when they gained just 77 yards and had a franchise-low three first downs in a 24-0 loss to the Falcons. Things picked up a bit in Cable's first game calling plays, with Oakland gaining 259 yards and making 17 first downs against the Panthers.




Source: Raiders QB Russell likely out vs. Panthers
Aguirre Defends Agüero Substitute Role
Del Bosque: European Nights Are Unforgiving
Panthers RB Stewart back in practice, questionable