Saturday, November 8, 2008

Giants safety Butler sidelined with knee injury

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants safety James Butler will miss Sunday night's game against Philadelphia with a knee injury, coach Tom Coughlin said Friday.

Kenny Phillips, the team's first-round draft pick this year, will replace Butler and make his first NFL start.

"I look at it as an opportunity to eventually become a starter," Phillips said. "I hate that it happened like this, but I'm just going to take advantage of my opportunity."

Phillips, the 31st overall pick from Miami, has played well so far as a sub. He has 30 tackles and intercepted a pass to seal the Giants' 21-14 win over Pittsburgh on Oct. 26.

"He had a good week of practice," Coughlin said. "I think he is [ready]. He has played a lot -- it's not like he hasn't been on the field. He has been on the field extensively in a lot of different categories."

Butler was hurt in last Sunday's 35-14 win over Dallas and didn't practice Wednesday. The fourth-year player returned Thursday on a limited basis, but was declared out when he was not able to practice Friday.

"It was painful and I couldn't run how I wanted to," Butler said. "If you can't play at your highest level, then you shouldn't go out there."




Giants’ Manning suffered bruised chest in blowout
Sneijder Ready For Return