Saturday, May 22, 2010

Darrelle Revis of New York Jets wants to be highest-paid corner

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Darrelle Revis isn't looking to become the $20 million cornerback.

But Revis is looking to get paid and the Jets have submitted a new offer to his agents. Revis said the Jets forwarded the offer last week.

Darrelle Revis of New York Jets wants to be highest-paid corner

I have talked to Coach [Rex] Ryan and [general manager Mike] Tannenbaum himself and they believe I should be the highest-paid player at my position. They understand that and I understand that. It is something that is going to get done. The Jets are family to me."

”-- Darrelle Revis

"They sent a proposal over so we are going to look at that and go from there," Revis said on Thursday. "If everything is right, if the numbers are right and everything is good, I will sign on the dotted line. If not, if we have to negotiate more, that is something we have to do."

Revis, who is set to make $1 million in the fourth year of the six-year deal he signed as a rookie, said he won't be holding out for $20 million a year as reported by one website.

"I don't know where the $20 million came from," Revis said. "I never told you guys that. Don't know who brought that up but I'm sure it is not going to be up in that area. That's insane. That would be great. Who wouldn't want $20 million? But that is a high price."

"Revis Island", however, will cost more than $15.2 million a year, which is what Oakland cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha makes. Revis wants to be the highest paid cornerback in the game.

"I think that is fair," Revis said. "This is nothing behind closed doors [like] I am fighting against the Jets and they are fighting against me. I have talked to Coach [Rex] Ryan and [general manager Mike] Tannenbaum himself and they believe I should be the highest-paid player at my position. They understand that and I understand that. It is something that is going to get done. The Jets are family to me."

Revis said he has yet to go over the latest offer with his agents yet but he repeatedly insisted that he wants talks to be as amicable as possible.

Revis reiterated what he told ESPNNewYork.com last week that the Jets promised him a deal will get done before training camp.

"These are not my words," he said. "These are the Jets' words. They promised that it was going to get done before training camp. If it happens, it happens. If it don't, it don't and then there are other situations that have to come upon it."

Revis was asked if "other situations" includes holding out if it comes to that.

"I wish I could answer that question but right now I can't," said Revis, who wants to keep talks as pleasant as possible. "I am just focused on being here at OTA. I told them I wasn't going to hold out at OTA. As of right now, I'm not even thinking about that."



Mallorca back into fourthDarrelle Revis’ agent meeting with New York Jets to discuss contract extension