Friday, May 16, 2008

Report: NFL questions convicted steroids dealer

NEW YORK -- NFL investigators have met with a convicted steroids dealer, who has said he provided performance-enhancing drugs to professional football players, according to a newspaper report.

David Jacobs pleaded guilty last year in federal court to conspiring to possess with intent to distribute anabolic steroids and was sentenced to probation on May 1. He has said he sold steroids and human growth hormone to NFL offensive lineman Matt Lehr and another NFL player. He also said the players he provided performance-enhancing drugs supplied them to other NFL players.

The New York Times reported in Friday's edition that Jacobs said NFL investigators visited him the day after he was sentenced.

"They wanted to know what information I had and what other documentary evidence I could provide them with," Jacobs told the Times. "I told them I was not going to talk specifics without my lawyer present. They wanted to know a list of players I dealt with and knew, and I told them I didn't feel comfortable doing that."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed to the Times that the league's investigators met with Jacobs and said future meetings were scheduled.

Lehr's attorney has denied his client ever sold steroids or HGH. He said the player hasn't used banned substances since he was suspended for four games during the 2006 season while playing for Atlanta, and has passed NFL drug tests.




Hleb a wanted man
Juve step up Amauri interest
Report: Steroids dealer sold PEDs to lineman Lehr