Friday, April 11, 2008

Gumbel leaves NFL Network

The NFL Network announced Friday that Bryant Gumbel is giving up his duties as play-by-play announcer on the network's game telecasts. First thought? That's great news! Well that was the first thought I'd have if I was actually one of the six people who got the NFL Network.

Gumbel is a fine host on HBO's Real Sports and I even like his commentaries despite the fact that he comes off as incredibly smug at times. But I have heard enough of his game broadcasts to decide he is not a game announcer. Over his two seasons, Gumbel was repeatedly criticized for on-air mistakes, including once calling Tony Romo "Rick Romo.''

Anyway, the NFL Network says the search to replace Gumbel begins immediately. Two names that have been floated are Frank Gifford and Tom Hammonds. I'd have no problem with Gifford. Then again, like I said, I'm not one of the six people who get the NFL Network.