Friday, February 26, 2010

Sources: Texas QB Colt McCoy advised not throw at combine

University of Texas QB Colt McCoy, who suffered an injury to his throwing arm early in the BCS Championship Game against Alabama, will not throw during the NFL combine this week. McCoy was advised by Dr. James Andrews not to throw, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

McCoy will participate in all other drills at the event. McCoy will throw for NFL scouts at the University of Texas pro day on March 31.

Texas QB Colt McCoy advised not throw at combine

McCoy

McCoy has remained mostly in California doing rehab since getting hurt in the BCS title game Jan. 7.

On the Longhorns' fifth offensive play against Alabama last month, McCoy took a hard tackle that pinched a nerve and caused his throwing arm to go numb. He didn't return in Texas' 37-21 loss.

"The injury and I think the way that my college career ended has kind of sparked a fire inside of me as far as I'm going to show that I'm going to be ready to go. I'm going to show them that I'm the best, I'm going to show that I'm confident," he said last week. "I can't wait to step out on the field again, forget the taste that's in my mouth for the last time I played a game. That's what's driving me every day."

There is nothing structurally wrong with his throwing shoulder and McCoy is going through the process of restrengthening his arm.

"My arm feels really good. I'm able to do everything they ask me to do," he said. "It's really healing quickly."

While his 45 career wins at Texas are an NCAA record, McCoy fell short of his ultimate goal of winning a national championship.

"It's one of those things that you'll think about forever. ... Disappointing is probably the real word," McCoy said. "But at the same time, I've been raised the right way and you've got to find a positive in every situation. I think about that and I think about how I still have a lot of football left to play. I'm confident that my best football is ahead of me and that's what keeps me going."



Injury boost for BarcaFormer Florida Gators quarterback Tim Tebow eyes ‘NFL style’ in preparation for draft