Saturday, January 17, 2009

Peppers asking Panthers to give him release

Defensive end Julius Peppers let the Carolina Panthers know he is looking for a change of scenery.

Peppers asking Panthers to give him release

NFL.com Video

Watch highlights from the Arizona Cardinals' 33-13 win over the Carolina Panthers.

"The front office has been informed of my desire to explore opportunities with other NFL teams following the expiration of my contract next month," Peppers said in a statement released by his agent Carl Carey. "At this point in my NFL career, I am seeking new challenges that will allow me to grow, develop and reach my personal potential on the football field. "I strongly feel that making a move at this time is in my best interest. I appreciate the entire Panthers organization and am thankful for the seven seasons I've spent with the team." The Panthers would have to pay Peppers, 28, nearly $17 million to franchise him for the 2009 season. Peppers has been in Carolina his entire career, seven seasons. "Julius is firm in his decision that he needs a change," Carey said. "He feels that he can thrive in another system. While he has been selected to four Pro Bowls and designated as an All-Pro during his career, he feels that he has yet to develop to his full potential. This is the case of a great player who seeks to become an elite one."




Robben Feels At Home On Real Madrid Right
Panthers lose starting OL Vincent to groin injury
Many happy returns: Starters back for Panthers