Wednesday, June 3, 2009

John Henderson's absence frustrates Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jaguars defensive tackle John Henderson fell out of practice early Monday and didn't participate in Tuesday's OTA session either because of a shoulder injury. But his absence left coach Jack Del Rio exasperated.

AFC South blog

John Hendersons absence frustrates Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio

ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky writes about all things AFC South in his division blog.

•Blog network: NFL Nation

"John has got a shoulder that's, back when I played and even prior to that, I don't think anybody would have had to miss a snap for it," Del Rio said. "I think it's a minor bruise of sorts. I would think Vince Lombardi is probably rolling over right now. It's not something that should keep anybody out of work. But John feels like he can't go so we'll let him wait until he can ..."

"Yeah, it's disappointing to see him pull himself out, quite frankly. What he does, that's up to him but we have a team out here that's working hard, that's committed and I'm not going to slow down and worry about somebody that's trying to get out of a drill."

Through a team spokesman, Henderson declined to comment.

In 14 games last year Henderson had 53 tackles and two sacks. He was a Pro Bowler in 2004 and 2006.

Later in an exclusive conversation with ESPN.com Del Rio pointed to Henderson again when asked his biggest lingering concern with his team.

"I probably touched on it today, that's probably my biggest concern," he said. "Right now I trust the way some of the younger guys are working, some of the unknowns more than I trust what I am seeing there.

"That will work itself out though. There is not a lot I can do about that -- well, there is, I'm going to look to motivate and prod and push and pull and do everything I can. But ultimately he's got to decide it's important enough. And we'll see."

The Jaguars drafted defensive tackle Terrance Knighton in the third round out of Temple. Previously this offseason Del Rio spoke well of two third-year players at the position: Derek Landri and Atiyyah Ellison.

"It's really not part of something I need to figure out," Del Rio said when asked more about Henderson. "I'm going to provide a competitive atmosphere and reward the guys who are doing things the right way. That's what we've got to do and I owe that to the rest of the team."




Real confirm Pellegrini arrival
Source: Maurice Jones-Drew, Jacksonville Jaguars agree on four-year deal
Laporta lauds Pep effect