Saturday, August 30, 2008

NFL reinstates suspended Pacman for Week 1

IRVING, Texas -- Adam "Pacman" Jones has been cleared to play for the Dallas Cowboys this season.

The cornerback-kick returner was suspended all last season, when he was with the Tennessee Titans, because of an accumulation of arrests and legal problems. He was traded to the Cowboys in April, then was allowed in June by commissioner Roger Goodell to join the team in training camp and in preseason games.

Goodell, however, was still waiting to decide whether to let Jones play in the regular season. That news came Thursday, hours before Dallas' final preseason game.

"It feels good man, you know, to get a second chance and I just have to take advantage of it," Jones told The Dallas Morning News. "First and foremost, I don't want to let myself down, definitely my little girl down. I'm thankful for [Cowboys owner] Jerry [Jones], the fans in Dallas and my teammates for believing in me. I need to keep doing what I've been doing to get reinstated, staying with myself and my teammates and staying away from those knuckleheads and just stay focused."

"This is another step in the process," Jones said in a statement released by the Cowboys. "I am very grateful for this opportunity, and I understand my responsibilities to the Dallas Cowboys and the National Football League. Right now I just want to keep working hard so I can accomplish the goals that I have set for myself both on and off the field."

Since being cleared almost three months ago by commissioner Roger Goodell to practice with the Cowboys, Jones had repeatedly expressed confidence that he would be reinstated for the season and said he was doing everything expected of him.

Still, there was a sense of relief when he finally received the official news -- in a phone call while walking in a parking lot.

"I am fully a Dallas Cowboy," Jones proclaimed before the last preseason game. "I don't have it lingering over my head, will he get reinstated, will he not get reinstated. I just have to keep myself out of bad situations like I have been doing the last six or seven months.

"I did scream. Immediately I called my mom, because I've been beating myself up, but my mom has been through this roller-coaster with me."

Jones received partial reinstatement to the NFL on June 2 from Goodell and as part of his reinstatement was permitted to participate in organized team activities as well as training camp and preseason games.

Jones Timeline

Adam "Pacman" Jones has been arrested six times and involved in 12 incidents requiring police intervention since being drafted in 2005. He was suspended from February 2007 to August 2008. A quick timeline since 2007:

Feb. 19, 2007: Jones is alleged to have been involved in a shooting at a Las Vegas nightclub. Jones was charged with two felony counts of coercion stemming from allegations that he threatened to kill club employees and scuffled with a bar bouncer. He was never charged in the shooting.

April 10, 2007: Jones suspended by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. The suspension could be re-evaluated after the 10th regular-season game.

Dec. 13, 2007: Players Association files an appeal on behalf of Jones, who has not been reinstated.

April 1, 2008: Goodell says that he will have a decision on reinstating Jones prior to training camp.

April 23, 2008: Jones traded to Dallas for fourth-round draft pick and a conditional pick.

June 2, 2008: NFL allows Jones to participate in organized team activities, practice and preseason games.

Aug. 28, 2008: Jones reinstated and may play Week 1 of 2009 season.




Löw suspended
Emmitt’s advice to Pacman: Make better choices
Goodell: Trade won’t affect Pacman reinstatement
Selig may not fine team officials in Mitchell report