Saturday, June 21, 2008

Report: Burress expects new deal before camp

Not practicing at mandatory minicamp created an uproar, but Plaxico Burress thinks his contract situation will be peacefully resolved before next month's training camp.

The New York Giants wide receiver wants a new deal and he told WIP radio in Philadelphia on Tuesday that he thinks it will happen. Camp begins at the University at Albany on July 25.

Report: Burress expects new deal before camp

Burress

"Honestly, I think my situation is going to be rectified before training camp," Burress said, according to NJ.com. "I'm not going to worry about it, but I did state that I was unhappy with my current situation with my contract. It'll be worked out."

Burress, who caught a game-winning 13-yard touchdown pass with 35 seconds remaining in the Super Bowl to give the Giants a 17-14 win over the previously unbeaten New England Patriots, has three years remaining on his six-year, $25 million deal. He will earn $3.25 million this year, $3.5 million in 2009 and $3.75 million in 2010.

Report: Burress expects new deal before camp

NFL.com Video

Super Bowl Highlight: Plaxico Burress and Eli Manning slay the Patriots with a TD in the final moments.

But after big deals for Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Javon Walker, Burress wants a raise. But he also wants to stay in New York.

"I don't want to go anywhere. I made that very evident," Burress told the radio station, according to NJ.com. "If I wanted to go somewhere else or if I didn't want to be there, I would have let that be known, too.

Moss, Owens and Walker have worn three different uniforms in their careers. Burress said he doesn't want that.

"I love the situation I'm in, I love the guys I play with, I love the city and I just love everything about me playing football up there," he told the station. "I just want to end my career there. I don't want to travel all around the globe trying to play football. I'll be 31 in August, so I just want to play my last five or six years there and end my career there and hopefully win another championship."


Rpt: Redden, Sens set to part ways
Giants’ O’Hara criticizes teammates for holdouts